Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Militant Vegans

In a disturbing trend, militant vegetarianism has become mainstream.

There was a story about a firehouse in Austin Texas that has become "vegan". The premise was that the shift lieutenant's father, a doctor, had written a book about how he feels that meat is bad for humans to consume. He had convinced his family of this and his son had convinced his com padres in the firehouse.

This doctor was convinced that he should attempt to get meat outlawed in the same manner as cigarettes and smoking. Not illegal, but ostracised. The doctor figured that this was possible with in three or four years. I think that that premise is fatally flawed - but that's his opinion.

What bothers me is that this is not the first militant vegan story that I've heard; and it hinges on so-called "Animal Rights". Animals don't have rights. Animals have protections that are afforded them by legislatures that have seen fit to criminalize animal cruelty.

If you don't think that animals should be harvested (I know that means killed, skinned, and dismembered) for leather or fur or meat, so be it. I don't agree with you, but you have a right to your opinion - as long as you allow me mine.

2 comments:

  1. It is funny how they can't live peacefully with others. I knew one who basically ruined Thanksgiving for his family because someone used a spatula to dish out his vegetarian lasagna with a spatula that had touched a meat dish.

    To quote Harland Williams, "My friend Larry says to me, 'You should be a vegetarian like me, you'll be a lot healthier and live longer,'"

    "So I pick up the steak, I flap it at him, and say, 'This cow used to be vegetarian, and he's not looking that healthy to me. So you just watch your mouth, salad bar-breath, because when all the cows are gone we're coming hunting after you, lettuce eater.'"

    See Bob, no fear of meat for me!

    Chris (guy with the shaved head from DJ's last night)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.eople E.ating T.asty A.nimals. :)

    ReplyDelete