Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Sense of Humor

She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but, oh he loved her still.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

The short fortune-teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at large.

I know - they are all as old as the hills and bad puns - but they all tickled me when I read them again this week.

It got me to thinking, what's happened to my sense of humor? I used to seek out jokes and actively memorize them. The last time that happened escapes me. It seems that as we age, our sense of humor doesn't so much change as we tend to stop memorizing jokes (that description fits me at least).

It seem that lately, I watch Comedy Central and laugh at many different kinds of jokes - the wild antics of "South Park", the low humor of the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour", and the political commentary of John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

I haven't found any situation comedies that I find all that funny. Certainly none that re-create the mix of drama and comedy of a "M*A*S*H" or "Barney Miller". The comedies that are out there now just seem dumb. I know that there are successful programs, but I just can't find any that consistently have a mix of pathos and comedy that I like.

Cest la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment